May 25-26, 2019
Saturday, May 25
12 pm - Set up opens in the City Park by the camp area
3 pm - Cooks Meeting at the Small Shelter at the La Cygne City Park
Sunday, May 26
Turn in times
- 12 pm - Chicken
- 12:30 pm - Pork Ribs
- 1 pm - Pork
- 1:30 pm - Brisket
2:30 pm (approx) - Awards Ceremony at the Small Shelter at the La Cygne City Park
- 1st - $50
- 2nd - $25
- 3rd - $10
- Best Chicken
- Best Pork Ribs
- Best Pork
- Best Briskett
- Best Overall
Cost is $50 per team, space is limited, your spot is not secured until payment is received.
Make checks payable to La Cygne 150
Turn payment in at First Option Bank or mailed to La Cygne 150, c/o First Option Bank, P.O. Box 429, 502 Market Street, LaCygne, KS 66040
Registration and payment must be received by end of day on May 22.
Questions: Contact Chris Epperson at 913-548-6967 or email Joy Epperson at email@example.com
Rules for Judging
- All meat in the four main categories must be raw upon arrival and kept on ice or refrigeration before being cooked. Holding temperature must be at 40 degrees or less. Meat must be at 40 degrees or less. Meat must be maintained at 140 degrees or above in a covered container
- No Garnish
- Meat cannot be pre-seasoned or maintained before arrival. Pork is defined as Boston butt, picnic, and or whole shoulder weighing approximately five pounds or more
- No foreign material or stuffing is permitted
- There must be 6 equal portions for each of the 6 judges to sample
- The scores from each of these 4 categories are the only scores that will be applied toward the overall Grand Champion scoring category
- Each team must submit at least 6 separate and identifiable portions of food in a container that is supplied by the organizers.
- Entries will be submitted in an approved and numbered container which is supplied by the organizers, and then renumbered for the judging officials.(Blind Judging).
- Turn in window is 5 minutes before to 5 minutes after judging time.
- Entries will be judged by a judging team of 6 members. Entries are scored range from 9 being highest and to 1 being the lowest. The weighing factors for the point system are as follows: Appearance 10%, Taste 60% Tenderness/texture 30%. The lowest score in each area will be dropped and used to break ties.
- Marking of any kind of meat or container is not permitted.
- Open to amateurs
- Each team will provide their own cooking device
- Contestants must provide all needed equipment and supplies. Contestants must adhere to all electrical, fire, and other codes, whether city, county, state or federal. Generators 57 DB or less are allowed, but strictly enforced.
- No pellet or electric smokers are allowed. Only traditional smokers can be used.
- It is your team’s responsibility to keep your space clean. No glass bottles.
- Teams will be disqualified for any out of control behavior by members of the team or guests.
- Be respectful of all competitors and keep the noise to a minimum in between the hours of 12am to 6am. Even if you don’t plan on sleeping, keep in mind that some people may want to.
- There will be no refund of entry fee for ANY reason.
- Extra food- you choose what you want to do with it. Take home, sell… It is your responsibility.